Scabies – Treatment and Home Remedies
What is Scabies?
Scabies is a common skin infection that causes small itchy bumps and blisters due to tiny mites that burrow into the top layer of human skin to lay their eggs.
The burrows sometimes appear as short, wavy, reddish, or darkened lines on the skin’s surface, especially around the wrists and between the fingers. A child who has contracted scabies can also develop a bumpy red rash.
The most common locations for scabies are on the sides of fingers, between the fingers, on the backs of the hands, on the wrists, heels, elbows, armpits, inner thighs and around the waist .
Symptom Of Scabies
- Most common symptom is intense itching, especially at night. An early scabies rash will show up on the skin as a line of tiny blisters or little red bumps.
- Your skin may show small insect-type bites on it, or the lesions may look like pimples. It may also be red and crusty due to scratching of the area.
- The body most commonly affected by scabies are the hands and feet (especially the webs of skin between the fingers and toes), the inner part of the wrists, and the folds under the arms. It may also affect other areas of the body, particularly the elbows and the areas around the breasts, genitals, navel, and buttocks.
- Bacterial infection may occur due to scratching. In many cases, children are treated because of infected skin lesions rather than for the scabies itself.
- Presence of lesions, such as brown nodules, rashes, or pimple-like irritations.
How to get rid of Scabies and Home remedies treatment of Scabies
- Wash all clothing, towels, and bed linens in hot water. Do not allow air drying. You should use the dryer.
- Cut your nails and clean under them thoroughly to remove any mites or eggs that may be present.
- Vacuum your rugs, furniture, and bedding and throw the vacuum cleaner bag away when finished.
- Treat all exposed individuals whether obviously infested or not. Incubation time is 6-8 weeks so symptoms may not show up for a while. If you do not treat everyone, it is as if you were never treated.
- See a dermatologist as soon as possible to begin treatment. Remember, although you may be disturbed at the thought of bugs, scabies is no reflection on your personal cleanliness.
- Hot bath and thorough scrubbing followed by new clothes. Old clothes should be disinfected.
- For mass treatment sulphur ointment or benzyl benzoate emulsion is useful. So, also is medicated soap.
- Bedding on clothing must be washed or dry cleaned.
- Change the bedding.
Medication must be kept on the body for at least 36 hours before taking the next hot bath.